Thursday, July 31, 2008

Shared Life Ministry

I just got of the phone with my wife discussing our ministry at the church. She, as well as others, over the past few weeks have been asking about families in our church that have been missing for some time now. One family, I believe, is gone to never return. I have a standard question I ask myself and others when we feel have left out church or considering leaving our church; "Have we done all we can to minister to their needs? Of course the initial response is "Yes, we have." I then respond with another question: "Are you sure?" Then hesitancy sets in.

That's the response I want because I don't believe the initial question can be answered with a yes or no answer with assurance. As a matter of fact, I believe the question requires an examination of yourself to insure that we as individuals have ministered biblically to others. When I got off the phone with her I started thinking about our conversation and then a sermon I preached earlier this year came to mind out of series we preached entitled: Our Practice: The F-I-R-S-T Essentials of FGMBC. It is an exposition of sermons on the five (5) functions of the church (ministry, fellowship, evangelism, discipleship, fellowship, and worship of the found in Acts 2:42-47. Here is the sermon skeleton on MINISTRY:


Topic: Our Commitment to Ministry
Text:
Philippians 2:3-4

Thesis Statement: Ministry is the sharing of one's life with others with no strings attached.


I The MOTIVE of Ministry – v. 3a
Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit

Point: A shared life ministry is an unselfish life

II. The MANNER of Ministry – 3b
“…but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.”

Point: A shared life is a humble life.

III. The MISSION of Ministry - 4
“Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others”.

Point: A shared life is a sacrificial life.

Deep concern for one another's well-being will develop when we share our lives with each other. God be praised for His word.

1 comment:

  1. Great outline my friend...I can't wait to see the rest of that series. God Be Praised!!!

    ReplyDelete