Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Restore the Land - Why Remodel?

Our church is in the midst of considering a much needed remodeling project. We started our discussion 4 years ago and recently really started considering it after our 2007-2008 rainy season that cause additional water damage and electrical problems. In our 2008 Church Conference, we spent a large amount of time discussing plans, building needs, loan options, and loan re-payment options to reach our goal to glorify God by beautifying our sanctuary. Going into this project, I must admit, I had no clue what I was doing outside of praying and asking God for guidance. Yes, my current career in purchasing has opened many doors and provided knowledge with dealing with constructors, bankers, etc. However, this project is not like the work place. To fail is to fail God in my opinion and that's something I don't won't to do.

This step of faith to remodel our church is totally out of necessity. Many of our members recognize the need to permanently repair and upgrade our sanctuary while others are somewhat apprehensive because of the size of our congregation and required loan amount to get work done. And truth is, it's scary taking out a huge loan amount that we need to totally complete the project never to use the band-aide approach to repairs again.

While thinking about our project, I thought it to be a good idea to use the blog as a journal through every step of the process. To hopefully gain in put from others but also to provide help to someone else. I want to do this in Q & A format.

The first question, what is our motivation for remodeling? I thought about this question alot over the past few months just to make sure my motives are pure and not polluted with selfishness, jealousy, competition, envy, pride, or anything that will not bring glory to the name of God. I had to pray and continue to pray that our motives is not to gain more members. Let me be clear, I desire to see our church grow numerically just as any other person but remodeling our church can't be the primary reason only God can bring increase in His own time. So, why remodel? Good Stewardship!

We considered selling and re-locating but after talking to other pastors in our city, my family, friends, and members of the church, they thought I would be crazy to sell a building that's paid off and porentially move into a smaller building. We have the space to grow. Parking is not an issue. Educational room is not a problem. Growing potential is not a problem. Currently, we seat comfortably 400-500 people with pews. After remodeling with individual chairs, we'll be able seat 600-700 people with additional room upstairs for another 25-50 seats). The potential where we are is too great to give up. Scripture is clear; "To whom much is given much is required (Luke 12:48)". I have come to a clear understand as to why remodeling is vital to the spiritual, numerical, and emotional growth of our church, GOOD STEWARDSHIP!. God has placed property in the care of First Goodwill to manage what He already owns. And while we're saying; "Lord, send more members." He saying, "First, take care of what I've already given to you." A story that haunts me regarding bad stewarship is the Parable of the Talents in Matthew 25:14-31. It's the servant who has one talent (money, gift, and/or building) that did not take a risk for God but played it safe. When the master (God) came back, the servant made many excuses has to why he did not manage the one talent well. The master took his talent and sent the servant to hell for being lazy, a Poor Steward. The point to this passage of scripture is that God will hold us accountable for what He gives us to manage. WOW! If for no other reason, GOOD STEWARDSHIP is really good reason for us to consider this project and/or any other project. Over years, as in many churches, we've taken the easiest path of travel related to the up-keep and maintenance of the church. There has been no upgrades to anything in the church. It's time for a change for the better.

Good stewardship is the spiritual reason but good health is the practical reason. As a pastor, I'm not only concerned about the spiritual well-being of our members but I'm also concerned about the physical well-being of our members. I believe that a good, clean, healthy environment provides a positive setting to worship God. Worship is an individual act. However, I also believe that our individual worship will be encouraged when we come to a place that is clean, free of hazardous breathing materials, and able to hear the preacher when he's preaching. I say this a lot about the quality of any service,"It's bad when people have better sound systems in their cars than we do in the church." We have some building materials in our church, due to it's construction in 1960 that has never been replaced, just covered up with carpet. It's time now to clear ourselves of this hazardous chemical. There is water damage from 10-15 years ago that has not been repaired. For healthy practical reasons we need to remodel.

I don't want anyone reading this on-line journal to think that I'm putting down the leaders who came before me. I praise God for their work and efforts and how God used them to build the kingdom of God. And I understand, they did the best they could with what was available to them at the time. But today, we have entirely too many opportunities available to us along with God's help to aide us in this endeavor.

Next week, I want to discuss, "How to get people on board with any project?" Please keep us in prayer through this process.

No comments:

Post a Comment