Tuesday, July 15, 2008

You Can Make It!

Yesterday, I funeralized 2 young ladies who are family members of mine. The lost was a tragedy that no one saw coming. The family came together for the 4th of July weekend for a impromptu family reunion. One of my cousins came from Texas with her mother and step-father. My other cousin lived in Compton, Ca. On July 6th, 2008, my 2 cousins along with 2 gentlemen decided to go to Roscoes Chicken and Waffles @ approx. 2 am in the morning. Witnesses explained that they saw the car swerve to the left going west on the 10 Fwy and hit the center divider. From the crash, the car was engulfed in flames and all 4 young people were killed. This tragedy is difficult for my family to comprehend. They have many "why" questions that no answer could satisfy because many of them do not have a personal relationship with God.

I was asked to perform the service on yesterday but did not know actually what to say. I visited with them a few days last week to help them put the service together but did not want to ask too many questions because the grief was so great in house and I didn't want to ignite additional bereavement.

I woke up yesterday morning not knowing what I was going to say. When I got to the mortuary, I still had no clue what I was going to preach. The mortuary chapel was packed with young people and it was standing room only as we memorialized both young ladies. I sat in the midst of the service while conducting the service with one prayer in mind; "Lord, help me say something to encourage my family and all these young people who don't understand Your will in the midst of trageday."

Right before the message, a praise team sung Mary, Mary's hit gospel song "Yesterday" and the Lord placed Philippians 4:13 on my heart. I didn't have a title for the message, I just started minstering and this is the message skeleton he gave me:

Point of the message: Tragedies of life can do one of two things, it can pull you closer to God or cause you to fall apart. But with God on your side YOU CAN MAKE IT!

The text offers three powerful convictions to help you make it even whenlife deals you a bad hand.

1. There's Confident Living In the midst of Tragedy - "I Can"

2. There's Capable Living In the midst of Tragedy - "I can do all things through Christ"

3. There's Continous Living In the midst of Tragedy - "I can do all things though Christ who gives me strength."

As I settled down, God gave me strength to preach and before long, I tuned up. The people were very receptive to the message and many young people at the end of the service said; "Pastor, I believe, I'm going to make it". And then the question came, "Do you have a business card with your church information on it?" We all know the answer to that question, "NO!"

I know a seed was planted but I hope I didn't miss an opportunity to lead them Christ and His church because I didn't have a business card for a possible follow-up opportunity.

I thank God for using me to minister to my family. Yesterday, was their first time hearing me preach and I've had to fight off my ego because of all the compliments. All credit goes to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment