Monday, July 21, 2008

The Transparent Christian

I play basketball every now and then at one of the local churches in the city that owns and operates a school. A few weeks ago, I had an unusual experience while at the gym. The pastor of the church and founder of the school stopped our a play for an impromptu discussion. He starts with the usual statement; "We need to talk, none of you guys pay to play basketball in this gym." We hear this at least 2 to 3 times a month but when you try offer him a little money he gets offended because it's not $20 or more (another subject for another time). He starts to explain the age of his congregation and says; "My congregation is 75+ years old and it would do their hearts good to see some young adults visit our church". He explains to us the various ministries the church has to offer to meet the needs of all ages. This was clearly an invitation for the men playing basketball to visit the church and be led to Christ. Good idea! Many of the guys do not attend church and is more than likely not saved.

However, I had one problem with the invitation. While giving this invitation the pastor cussing up a storm and with every reference to God there was shortly thereafter a cuss word. Then he laid the bomb on us; "I'm the most transparent pastor you will ever meet. Just because I cuss and fight (yes, he'll fight you in a heart-beat) doesn't mean I'm not going to heaven!". It was very clear in his statements that he believes he could pretty much do whatever he wants, stand up to preach every week and make it into heaven without any spiritual changes to his lifestyle. Trust me, I'm not one to judge anyone because I have my personal struggles too. However, when does being transparent cross the line of holy living? Is there a line to cross? Do we use this idea of transparent living as a way to do what we want when want?

As Christians, we're commanded to live a life of holiness before God and as a pastor, we're called to live a higher standard of holy living as an example for others to follow. It's good to be real and honest about our struggles as Christians but there should be some evidence of a lifestyle change that will lead others to Christ.

When I left the gym that day, I started reflecting on my own life. Needless to say, I had to repent. There is a famous Christian saying that says; "Our lives maybe the only bible people will read". And the truth of the matter is our lives maybe the only bible people may read. It's important that we guard our hearts, minds, and conversations to insure that we don't bring shame on the name of God as Christians because we want to be transparent.

May God continue to challenge us through real life situations that will cause every believer to personally reflect on how we live before an unsaved world.

No comments:

Post a Comment