Friday, October 3, 2008

Confirmation!!!!!!!!

I met with our leaders last night to update the status of our project as well as carry-out some necessary administrative business. All went well until we started discussing finances. Our giving has been off due to our construction and the fact that for the past two Sundays we had combined services with my home church and the Hispanic church. This Sunday our service time will change to 8:30 am until the completion of our construction efforts and I don't see many supporting the time change.

I proceeded to tell our leaders that I'm not surprised at the lack of support by many of our members so far and I don't believe it's going to stop here. They had a puzzled look on their faces and I told the story of Nehemiah. After Nehemiah heard the tragic news of his hometown, he started praying immediately for favor to go back and rebuild. God heard his prayer and granted him favor to leave king Artaxerxes and go back to Jerasulem to rebuild the city. In chapter 3 we see leaders, priest, sons, brothers, daughters and grandsons come together to rebuild the city of Jerusalem. But in verse 5 the bible says; "The next section was repaired by the men of Tekoa, but their nobles would not put their shoulders to the work under their supervisors" - NIV. The point is this everybody is not going to support a worth-while effort no matter how worth-while the effort maybe. But, they're lack of support will not and did not stop the rebuilding of Jerusalem. I told our leaders that we will not receive full support of many members but that doesn't mean FGMBC will not be rebuilt with God's help.

As we continued our discussion, it was confirmed that the new sermon series I'm preparing to preach this Sunday, "The Importance of Supporting the Local Church", is well needed.

The support level since our construction began has been less than supportive. I have members who are disguntled because I didn't do it the way they think it should have been done. Others are disgruntled and feelings hurt due to some events that took place earlier this year in leadership changes that God navigated not ME. The result, lack of support in presence and finance. I explained to them that I knew this was coming and our economy is affecting many of our financial lives. But this is not the time to panic but to trust God, personally and corporately as a church.

I made a spare of the moment decision to have my pay cut for the month of October but then retrieved from that right away. It's too early to start cutting anything especially my financial support simply because people are non-supportive right now. We need to watch and pray instead.

I took a few moments to pray for direction before going any further with our discussion as they were writing checks to pay our bills. My nervousness and stress level quickly turned to celebration. I started thanking God for opposition because if all of this came easy then I would think it was of me not God. Not only that, we're writing checks to pay bills, me included that's more than enough reason to celebrate. We're not overflowing with cash but God is supplying our every need (and then some).

We will feel the crunch from the state of our economy as well as some lack of support from the members in the last quarter of 2008. But, God is still faithful to perform.

I woke up this morning excited wanting to see what God is going to do at the end of this. And believe you me, I believe God is able to exceedingly, abundantly, all we can ask or think.

I can't wait to get in the pulpit this Sunday. I'm to preach like a maniac, God willing!

1 comment:

  1. I just prayed that The Lord's will be done my dear brother.

    God bless

    ReplyDelete