Monday, September 29, 2008

Weekend Review

This weekend was very much needed. I can't say I got much rest but Tracy and I did have a lot of fun hanging out together. Friday, we spent all day together. Our day started paying bills and then I took her to the mall to purchase something for her to wear and to have a manicure/pedicure. While she was being tended to I took the car to Jiffy Lube for a quick service before our weekend got started.

We wanted to get rid of the kids for the weekend but for some reason it just couldn't seem to work out. Needless to say, our teenagers was with us the entire weekend and we made some adjustments to enjoy each others company.

We got dressed and headed to the concert. LA traffic is the worst! We left at 5:30 pm and did not make it to the Greek Theatre until almost 8 pm. This messed up our dinner plans. So we went to The Hat for a pastrami sandwich and fries and ate on our way to the concert. What a romantic dinner,uh!

We finally made it to the concert and I found out that one of my favorite jazz artist, George Duke was performing as well. When he came on stage he lit the place up with jazz funk. I'm really impressed with George Duke because his drummer is a 20 year old out of Compton, Ca whom he groomed straight out of high school and he can play. They slammed for about 20 minutes and the crowd went crazy.

Then it was time for Anita Baker. She gave a good show. We saw her last year but was disappointed because it took her 2 hours to come out and the set was not good at all. But this time was totally different. Anita can sing and her set was excellent. On a side note, people are crazy. There were two white women who came and just took over some seats in front of us. They were dancing (off beat) and drunk like you wouldn't believe. As a matter of fact, one lady fell down the stairs. She didn't get hurt but everyone was laughing up a storm and that was because of how she was acting th entire in the concert getting on everyone's nerves. We got home only to find our teenagers up bright eyed and bushy-tailed like it was noon, UGH!!!

Friday was good hanging out. While we were at the concert the kids went to they're high school football game with some friends. Varsity got spanked but a weak team.

Saturday was restful in the morning. Since the kids were here we made them clean up and Tracy and I went to Food-4-Less to buy groceries. We took our time to enjoy each others company in the grocery store (we had to make the most of every opportunity). Later in the afternoon we went to the Getty Center in Malibu which is a Greek Museum. It was boring. All sculptures looked the same after a while so we had coffee and a cookie and came home to rest before going to dinner later that night.

We went to Black Angus for dinner and our plan was to go to a movie but by the time we finished eating we both were tired. I blamed it on her that she couldn't hang as teenager and that's why we didn't go to the movies. Truth is I'm used to going to bad at 9:30 pm every night and no good after that, work or no work. My body is timed to sleep at 9:30 pm no later than 10 pm. We got home laid down and she started talking to me but I went to sleep.

Saturday was good hanging out with my wife!

Sunday morning I woke up at my usual time, 5 am and had some devotional time with prayer and reading scripture. I needed to go to the church to drop off some announcements and other things for the service. But before I left I wanted to watch HB's first Sunday at Shiloh. I was able to watch most of the service but time was running out so I had to leave to go to the church. It looked like all was well during the service until Tracy called to tell me that our niece Natalie was sick. So, I prayed for her and all is well.

When I got the church the contractors was working which surprised me because I told them I didn't want them working on Sunday. But then I thought about it and maybe it was good thing because then the members can see progress. I left it alone this weekend but no more Sundays going forward if we can help it.

I stayed there for a couple hours and Tracy called wanting to know if I went into the church and my immediate response was, NO! But then I called her back and told her I did go into the church of which she knew already. Our oldest daughter Kari and our grandson came over and hung out with us all day. We had breakfast, I fixed my bike, and I had my first softball game as well.

Our plans was to go to the LA County Fair but I came up with another idea after weighing money spent. LA County Fair or a Wii game. We decided to purchase a Wii game and cook dinner which turned out perfect.

Our grandson is a boy at heart. He played until he couldn't play anymore and wanted to keep on playing the Wii game. After about 12 hours, I was glad to see come but I was also glad to see him go.

We laid down for the night and crashed quickly.

This morning we ran more errands and had lunch at Bubba Gumps. We ate so much that we didn't even bother to make dinner so the kids ate leftovers.

Overall the weekend was good eventhough a lot of things didn't go the way I wanted but the time Tracy and I spent together was much needed and enjoyable. She asked me today, Do you feel guilty about not going to church? My answer, NO! I've attended and/or preached every Sunday this year. I think I deserve some me time and not feel guilty about it. And, I don't.

Work starts in the morning but I'm glad about this weekend. I love Tracy a lot and it's during these moments that reminds me why we got married. Keep us in your prayers.

1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous you saw Anita Baker. She is a favorite of my husband and I.

    Glad you had a great weekend. I wouldn't take nothing for each precious moment spent with the one I love.

    May you have many more years of weekends like this. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    Be blessed

    ReplyDelete