Monday, September 8, 2008

Thoughts of This Weekend

How can I explain this weekend? Busy, tiring, stressful, frustrating, flunkserville, happy its over!

Man, this weekend was crazy. I worked Saturday for 5 hours and then left went to the church to start moving more stuff. I wasn't sure what we were going to do with all the junk we had in the building because the trash company did not empty our bin last week. So, I started putting stuff in the parking lot and a gentlemen asked if he could have it? Of course my answer was yes please take it! That helped out a lot. After we closed up shop, I went home laid on the couch and could not move because I was so exhausted. Later that evening, I got my laptop computer to get ready for Sunday and could not pull it together so I got mad and went to bed.

Sunday morning arrived and I still could not pull it together. So I preached a sermon from 2000 entitled: "On The Right Path Towards Blessedness" from Psalms 1. Heres the sermon outline:

Thesis: Blessed people are people who follow God's course for their lives.

1. The Requirements for Blessedness - v. 1

- Don't take worldly advice - Blessed is the man who walks not in counsel of the ungodly

- Don't act like people in the world - nor stands in the way sinners

- Don't get comfortable - nor sits in the seat of the scornful


2. The Results of Blessedness - v. 2-3

- A Strong Life - But his delight is in the law of the Lord and in His law he meditates day and night.

- A Secured Life - And he shall be life a tree planted by the rivers of water

- A Fruitful Life - That brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf shall not wither

- A Prosperous Life - And whatever he does shall prosper


3. The Reassurance in Blessedness - v. 4-6

- The ways of the ungodly will perish - v. 4-5

- God knows the ways of the righteous - v. 6

God pulled me through but if I had to grade my sermon effort from yesterday, I got an "F". Only God knows the fruit that shall come to pass.

The architect brought the plans on Saturday for us to review. All looks well but I'm a little disappointed in the design of the stage area. Due to ADA requirements for disability, I need a 15ft ramp. I can't place ramp in the back of stage because there's not enough space so designed for in front of the stage which in my opinion takes away from the Octagon stage appearance. I still have a little time before they start building the stage and during that time the architect and I will work something out.

An old member who left the before I got there came to worship with us on yesterday. I laid the plans out to the church to review and explain what we're doing with bathrooms, electrical, etc after church. He stayed to hear and got excited about the direction we're going in. Who knows what will come of it. He doesn't attend any church currently and his heart is still at First Goodwill.

We did not have our "Praising in the Sun" service yesterday, we will have it this coming Sunday instead. And the weekend of the 20th, we're going to my home church Mt. Sinai to spend the whole day with them as that will be Pastor Charles last Sunday and church anniversary.

Still a lot to do this week but I have to find some time to commit to my study. I don't want another preaching moment like this past weekend.

Please pray my strength in the Lord.

4 comments:

  1. I am empathetic to your schedule situation, but all of us must continue to make time for our sermon preparation. We all need to look at the example of HB Charles Jr., who has a very busy schedule, but somehow he finds a way to get all of his work done. Let's promise to keep one another's feet to the fire about our time in preparation, agreed? By the way, great outline Doctor.

    Lance

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly looks as though you have a lot on your plate. My Preaching Sons always hate to hear me say to them when they have a lot going on "you are young, you can do it". It was my FEEBLE attempt at encouraging them. I've also had words to lift their spirits when they felt an "F" was the score for a particular sermon. If I was in attendance that day it always served as a blessing to me. You are correct, you don't know what fruit it will yield in time to come.
    My husband was bi-vocational for 15 years of pastoring. It was demanding and it got to the point where he had a very hard decision to make and a faith move. I am praying that the Lord will strengthen you and order your steps as you minister to His people.

    Be Blessed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your honesty and forthrightness concerning your weekend is a reality we all must come face to face with at some time or another. Be encouraged! At least you know what you need to do. Stay the course!

    ReplyDelete