Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Entering Into Pastoral Ministry

We played our championship basketball game last night of which we lost (no excuses to be made). I didn't play well because my ankles (both of them) are sooooo bad from many years of playing that now I feel the pain of not going to the doctor to check on ankle sprains. I think it's time to retire but that's going to be extremely hard to do. My bother and I are thinking of taken up weight lifting as a sport to keep in shape.

On my way home from the game I started thinking about my entering into pastoral ministry 6 years ago and all the events leading up to that point. I wasn't recommended to First Goodwill by anyone to be their pastor. As a matter of fact, I was told on more than one occasion that I was not ready to pastor FMGBC let alone any church. As much as this may have crushed my ego, the truth of the matter is they were right. I was not ready to pastor a church. But then on the other hand, who is? The qualifications in 1 Timothy 3 pretty much disqualifies many of us from being and/or becoming a pastor. The instructions given to elders in 1 Peter 5:1-4 challenges us to maintain the proper motivation in ministry which, in my conviction, disqualifies many of us. But in the midst of it all, I was encouraged to read Paul's testimony to young Timothy years ago when he says: 12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has enabled me, because He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry, 13 although I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent man; but I obtained mercy because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. 14 And the grace of our Lord was exceedingly abundant, with faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. 15 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. 16 However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life. 17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to [fn1] God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

This verse has become one of my life passages because of what Paul says to encourage Pastor Tim. Here's what the testimony of Paul teaches us about ministry:

- God enables us for ministry: God does not call a man to pastoral ministry without making sure he's able to do the job effectively and efficiently. All that we accomplish in ministry is God's doing. It's our responsibility to make ourselves available to be used by God. God enables us when we prepare ourselves. I love the church and did whatever I could in the church from childhood up until now. I played drums, sang in the choir, picked up paper, locked/unlocked the church, change light bulbs, etc. I have all training material from the days spent with Pastor Charles on expository preaching in his office from 1995. And much of what I'm able to do in ministry now is the result of years preparation that has enable me for this time in my life today. God is good in placing people and circumstances in our lives to prepare us for future service.

- God honors faithfulness: God is watching our faithfulness. A few years ago I wanted to quit, primarily because I allowed the opinions of others to get to me, until I saw BET's documentary "Exalted" which highlighted the ministries of Carlton Pearson, Kenneth Ulmer, Paul Morton, Charles Blake, and Eugene Rivers. I worked along side Pastor Charles during some troubling years and witnessed him preach week after week faithfully. And now God is elevating him and his ministry. I have a friend and prayer partner in Pastor Reginald Payne who's been pastoring for 14 years faithfully, God is blessing is ministry tremendously. The list goes and on but all of these ministries have been rewarded because of years and years and years of faithfulness to the work even when the work and some of life's events got the best of them. We can't expect God to bring the harvest if we're not willing to work in the fields. Minstry can be hard but it's worth it in the end. Stay faithful to God!

- God calls us into ministry: It is God who makes the call into minstry. God could have chosen anybody else to lead FGMBC but he chose me. What a blessing! One of my leaders asked me Sunday after we ate dinner together, "How does a church go about selecting a pastor?" I told him that is depends on the circumstances. If a pastor leaves due to following God's direction to pastor another church many times he will provide the church with potential candidates for the church to consider. If a pastor dies or leaves without any explanation, then the church is left to form a pulpit committee which then places ads in the paper, on a website, or whatever in search of pastoral candidates. Which then requires resumes, interviews, etc. He responded; "Like a job!" And I said; "Yes, you can say that". I then said to him; "But always remember that the final call belongs to God". Bottom-line is that God is the sovereign selector for pastoral ministry.

After this reflection last night, I started thanking God for His sovereign selection of me into pastoral ministry at FGMBC. It's been a long hard road but thank God, He's not done with me yet.

1 comment: