Friday, May 29, 2009

I Love Writing

I’m finding my love for writing becoming more and more exciting after each written sermon and blog. My favorite educational course was English in all grade levels. I enjoyed spelling test, definition assignments, grammatical structure, and reading. But most of all, I loved writing research papers and short stories. When I finished my studies at a local Jr college my writing ceased. Why? I don’t know. It just stopped.

I started blogging a year ago and my passion for writing has been renewed. I blog because I have a lot to say that often times will never reach the pulpit in a sermon or lesson.

Writing affords me an opportunity of expression. Over this last year, I’ve written a number of articles about the church, my personal and family life, our Restore the Land project, and currently writing an online book; “Understanding Healing”. All in an effort to practice my writing skills as well as express thoughts that prayerfully will help someone along the way in this journey called life.

There are a few things I’ve discovered over this year that I never thought of until now.

- Writing requires discipline: I’ve seen many friends start blogs but quickly stop them. I’m not sure why but I think they would say “not enough time”. Writing does require time. Time thinking, editing, thinking, editing, thinking, and editing. To be a great writer (if that’s your desire) requires the discipline of time management to perfect your craft. My desire is to be a good writer and if greatness develops, so be it. For now I’ll settle for being good.

- Be prepared for criticism: I’ve received both types of criticisms, constructive and cruel. I don’t rule out cruel criticism because I’m my own worst critic and nobody can beat me up like I can. However, just know that criticism of both kinds is just around the corner. Be confident in what you’re writing. Some people will agree and others will disagree but bottom-line is these are your thoughts not theirs.

- Have fun writing: This is what it’s all about, having fun! If writing becomes a burden then stop writing. Otherwise you will fall into the category of wanting to say something rather than having something to say. All writers experience mental block where nothing comes to them. That’s ok, stop writing until it comes. But have fun when you return.

- Be brief: It doesn’t take a lot of words and pages to get your point across.

- Stay in Your element: Don’t try to out write someone else. There are some great minds in our world but your mind is just as great as the next person. Don’t try to take on topics and words you’re not well prepared in. One article I wrote was on time management that I should have left out of my arsenal because I struggle with time management. I’m learning to stay within my element. One more piece of advice, use a dictionary! It’s cool using new words but be sure to know the meaning and spelling. Simple is sometimes most powerful when writing.

- Use Microsoft Word: I use a Word document as draft copy for spelling and grammar errors. Once all has been checked I copy into my blog. I want to be at my best at all times.

- Don’t expect comments on every blog: I used to get discouraged when I wrote what I thought was my best article and received no comments. That quickly changed when a young man came to me before a musical at the church and commented on how my article on “God’s Favor”. He never commented on my blog but he did in person. You never know who is reading and being helped by what you write.

I love writing and look forward to it every chance I get. I anticipate more thoughts and better writing skills this year.

An aspiring writer,

2 comments:

  1. Clinton, I eagerly await more writings from you as I have thoroughly enjoyed all of your writings thus far.

    Keep Pressing!

    Lance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Dr. Clint....I concur whole heartedly!!

    Praying for you brother.


    Tony R.

    ReplyDelete