Monday, May 11, 2009

Sunday Thoughts - 5/11/09

After our evangelism service, I abandoned our study on the names of God for the last three weeks to preach on “The Importance of Soul Winning” (I wish the series could have been title something much better but this will do for now). It’s been enriching, challenging, motivational, exciting, and promising for me personally and pastorally. I really need to get our audio equipment up and running so CDs can be made available for distribution. Here are the outlines for the first two messages:

Sermon 1:
“A Call to Soul Winning”
Mark 2: 14-20

Thesis Statement: Soul winning is a call of God to join Him in changing the World for His glory, alone.

I. The Power of Soul Winning – v. 14-15

a. The Good News is timely
b. The Good News is available
c. The Good News is Decisive

II. The Partnership in Soul Winning – v. 16-17

Three characteristics in partnering with God

a. We must be trustworthy – Can God trust you with the soul of person
b. We must be teachable – Partner with God is a life-long learning process
c. We must be task-oriented – God don’t lazy disciples

III. The Participation in Soul Winning – v. 18-20

a. Partnering with God means guaranteed success in soul winning
b. Partnering with God requires sacrifice

- They left their careers: Fisherman
- They left their comforts: the boat
- They left their connections: They left their father with his servants

Point: Being an active participant in soul winning we can’t allow our careers, comforts, and/or connections prevent us from carrying out our duty with God.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sermon 2:
“The Joy Soul Winning”
Psalms 51 (Key Verses: 12-13)

Thesis: The joy of soul winning lies in our testimony that God forgave me and He will forgive anybody who repents.

I. The Joy of Soul Winning is PERSONAL – v. 12a

How do we get back to loving God like we used to?

Accept full responsibility for your sin – v. 1-2
Acknowledge Your Sinful Ways – v. 3-5
Address you confession to God – v. 6-9

Here’s the point; effective soul winning starts with you and I cleansing ourselves from the sin that zaps our inner joy.

II. The Joy of Soul Winning is PERSEVERENCE – v. 12b

Point: Let me depend so thoroughly on Your guidance that such a failure will be unthinkable in the future.

III. The Joy of Soul Winning is PROGRESSIVE – v. 13a

Point: We, too, have multiplied our transgressions. We would do well to face up to the full magnitude of our guilt, as David has, and embrace the full magnitude of His forgiveness. Based on that David says let me go out and teach others what I have learned from my own horrible mistake.

IV. The Joy of Soul Winning is PROMISING – v. 13b

Point: The promise in soul winning is that sinners will be converted.


I pray God is glorified and the members of FGMBC are challenged to partner with God to win souls for the kingdom.

This week I will be studying “The Urgency of Soul Winning”. I can’t wait!

This weekend, the women of our church shared together in a conference Friday night and Saturday morning. The women were blessed with praise/worship my sister-in-law, Muffy Charles, a mother and daughter team which is awesome to experience, Irene Jones shared the word with the women, and good food. Tracy and the women of First Goodwill Church are to be commended for a job well done. Be encouraged, God is not through with you yet.

After church, Tracy, the kids, and I spent time at the park. For mother’s day this how Tracy likes to spend her time every year. It was so relaxing. The weather was great, food good, and quality with the family awesome.

We start our six (6) week course on “Becoming a Contagious Christian” this week. I pray it helps our church.

I request your prayers for our church in the next two (2) weeks. A friend of mine and fellow-laborer in the gospel are talking about a few things that will benefit both of our churches to make a greater impact for God’s kingdom in the local community. Please pray and let’s watch God work it out!

I will post part 2 of Chapter 1 – “Am I Really Sick” (from my thoughts on Understanding Healing) later this week.

Until next time be blessed!

2 comments:

  1. Clinton, both outlines were top-notch, A class expressions of biblical exposition. I know that you knocked them both out of the park!

    I am sure Muffy killed everything in the house!

    Lance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and outlines. Your committment to evangelism is refreshing.

    ReplyDelete