Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sunday Thoughts - 5/24/09

What a good yet busy weekend for First Goodwill. We celebrated family/friends with a combined service with Pastor Payne and the Full Gospel Baptist Church. Pastor Tony Rhone from Galilee Baptist Church of Oklahoma preached and did an excellent job. The members of First Goodwill did a good job inviting people to church and serving during the reception after service. I know many of their evangelistic efforts did not go un-noticed by God nor me, thank you for casting out nets.

I didn’t get a chance to speak to a lot of our members and their invited family/friends because I was so busy helping a son of our church, Pastor Michael Albert get ready for baptism. My day started at it’s normal time 4 am and it was none stop with filling the pool, picking up members and their invited guest, helping with sound check, coordinating with pastor Payne order of service, I mean it didn’t stop. So by the time service started I was TOTALLY exhausted and it took me some time to get engaged into the worship service.

Later that evening, Tracy and I, went to dinner with Pastor and Sis Payne, Pastor and Sis Severe, Associate Pastor and Sis, Boyle, and Pastor and Sis Rhone at Bucca Italian Restaurant. Good fellowship but cold in Santa Monica, Ca.

For Memorial Day, I woke up and thought I would cook my family breakfast. I made breakfast burritos and we laid around all morning until we went to Pastor Payne’s house for BBQ. At first my son didn’t want to go but when he got there he didn’t want to leave because of pastor Rhone’s daughter, TJ. And all he could talk about was TJ when got home. Our kids are growing up, that’s scary. We watched the Fakers (I mean, Lakers) get spanked by the Nuggets. No answers for Birdman on the boards. No answers for JR Smith in scoring. I know Laker fans, “The refs were paid off!” I don’t think so. The Lakers got out hustled, scored, rebound, and excellent free throw shooting won the game. What a game!

Well, we‘re back in the saddle again starting our day at work.

All of June, due to the bad economy, my job is forcing 40 hour vacations. So, I will be taken vacation every Monday in June. This is cool because I have so much to get caught up with at home and the church that time off will prove to be beneficial and it will give Tracy and I some quality time as well. So I’m looking forward to it.

We’ll continue our evangelism training session this Wednesday @ 7 pm. I will pickup our sermon series “The God of Our Trust” studying Jehovah-Yahew: I Am That I Am from text Exodus 3:14-15. I’m looking forward to preaching this coming Sunday.

We have our women's ministry fellowship service this Sunday. I'm looking forward to this service. It has really been encouraging the women of First Goodwill and Praise Chapel.

I’m still writing Chapter 2 of Understanding Healing entitled: “The Source of Healing”. I find this writing enriching and troubling. Last week, I heard a report of a mother who was sentenced to 25 years in prison for refusing medical treatment for a sick child and the father’s trial starts in July 2009. Many of us have heard the story of the Minnesota family who will not allow medical treatment for their son with cancer. In both cases, religious beliefs are the reason(s) for their decision-making process. But my question, “Who is the source of healing?” The answer to this question is obvious but a follow-up question is in order as well, “What vehicle(s) does God use for healing?” Stay tuned…

2 comments:

  1. Your week sounds a lot like mine!! Be strong and know that you are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother, I see you are hard in the pain with a plan. Keep up the good work preacher!

    DeAntwan

    ReplyDelete