Monday, August 24, 2009

Sunday Thoughts - 8/23/09

Pretty good church yesterday although it did start out a little hectic. I got a call Sunday morning at about 7 am and a few of our young adults needed a ride to church. My family have been riding together to church now for the last few months. So, we had to hustle out of the house to get to the church to drop them off and then head to pick up our young adults.

I don’t driving the church van to pick up our members, I really don’t. But yesterday morning I was nervous and felt rushed. Tracy led praise and worship for me so I could catch my breathe for a moment. Tracy and sis Loud did an excellent job. Thank you!

After our fellowship, I sang a few songs and the spirit came in the place like a rushing mighty wind. It took a few moments to calm things down so they could hear the Word of God.

We resumed our study in Psalms 23, here’s the sermon skeleton:

Topic: I’m Refreshed
Text: Psalms 23

Thesis: God, our Shepherd, will lead through dry places of life to a place of refreshment.

I. The Source of Refreshment – “He leads me”

- He leads us to SAVING Refreshment – John 4:10

- He leads us to SPIRITUAL Refreshment – John 7:37-39

- He leads us to SUSTAINED Refreshment – Revelations 7:17

II. The Continual Supply of Refreshment – “besides still waters”

- There’s a continued supply of refreshment in the Realities of Life – Waters, a symbol of distress – Isaiah 43:2

Point: Life is hard sometimes but God leads us through the hard times to inner peace and refreshment.

- There’s a continued supply of refreshment during the Transitions of Life Waters, a symbol of transition – Mark 4:35-41

Point: Life may take a turn for better or for worst but God controls it all

- There’s a continued supply of refreshment in the Stability of Life – Waters, a symbol of abundance - Psalms 1

Point: Life may try to dry you out but God has an abundant supply of grace for you to draw from

None was caught in the net but we did cast out the line. We saw new and repeated faces yesterday and that was refreshing.

Overall, a good day. This week will be long with meetings as well as with our BBQ fundraiser on Friday, August 28th, raising money for our building fund.

I am so tempted to write a post against “the gospel of inclusion” after watching the documentary on Carlton Pearson this past Saturday. For those reading this post please understand hell is real.

Until next keep smiling!

2 comments: