Monday, August 17, 2009

Sunday Thoughts - 8/15/09

Church was ok, yesterday. Glad to have been able minister the word but it seemed like we needed an extra push into worship but I just didn’t have in me yesterday to do it. So we flowed with the service, as is.

I took a detour from our Psalms 23 study. “He leads me beside still waters” has given me some challenging thoughts that came out of my observation of the text and I need to wrestle with it more before communicating it. We preach no sermon before its time. So in my prayer time Saturday, I was led to preach on “Trusting God to Grow Our Church”. Hey, I just realized something while writing, every sermon series and/or title this year has been dealing with “Trusting God” coincidence or divine providence??????????

Here’s the outline to the sermon:

Topic: Trusting God To Grow Our Church
Text: Selected Scriptures

Thesis: Only God can grow a church!

Transitional Sentence: Trusting God to grow our church requires we follow God’s plan for growing a church.

I. Focus on the Priority of Growing A Church – Matthew 28:18-20

II. Follow the Principles For Growing A Church – Acts 2:42-47

III. Faithfully Practice the Power Unto Church Growth, Prayer – 1 Timothy 2:1-4

IV. Finally, Resolve to Wait Patiently on God to Grow the Church – 1 Corinthians 3:6

I think the best description for our service yesterday would be “A Glorify New Members Class”. We’re seeing new faces and some former members have returned but do not know my thoughts about ministry and church practice. This was my attempt to share my heart for ministry in doing it God’s way.

After church, we gave Aysia a 16th birthday party. We cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned all weekend trying to get ready only for the house to get dirty all over again! It was cool seeing her track team and friends come over to the house to celebrate her birthday (her birthday is actually this Wednesday). I grilled all day long and my feet still hurt.

Some members of the church came over to hang out with pastor and family. I asked for their forgiveness because I wasn’t playing gospel music. I played oldies like The O’Jays, Frankie Beverly and Maze, Maysa, Guy, as well as jazz. When “those teenagers” showed up, they wanted that rap stuff. I know some of it so I governed most of it.

Tracy worked her tail off to put this party on for Aysia. She is a good mother to my kids. The food was good but I did burn some of it. This was my first grilling skewers and you have to babysit that. Once I did get it, watch out, it was on and cracking.

Yesterday was different kind of day but a good day nonetheless.

Deacon Loud is doing much better. He’s home and back in good spirits, praise God. Please continue pray him and Sis Loud for continued strength and recovery.

I'm not into golf but I can't believe Tiger Woods lost.

That’s it, that’s all, peace!

1 comment:

  1. Clinton, God will lead us to the place that he wants us so that the people we have been placed in stewardship over can see Jesus more clearly! Great Job yesterday. Keep Pressing!

    Lance

    ReplyDelete