Wednesday, November 5, 2008

RESTORE THE LAND PROJECT UPDATE


All is well! We're getting down to the completion of our construction work and contractor estimates that within 2 weeks we will be able to enter into our new sanctuary. Things have shaped into place and looking extremely good. First Goodwill looks nothing like the days of old. The members are excited about how things are turning out as they see progress each week at the end of our service.

But while the contractor will be completed in 2 weeks, we still have a lot of work to do. We have 500 chairs to pick up and position in our sanctuary. We have some major cleaning to do in the secetarie's office and my office (I did not include these two areas in construction process because it was done by my predecessor some 9 years ago). New office furnishings is being delivered, as well as new pulpit. Sound system installation and training has to be done. Decorations with flowers, plants, etc to give additional life to our new sanctuary. And so much more.

We're currently working on our ribbon cutting ceremony that is tentatively scheduled for the first Sunday in December (December 7th to be exact). I will post a flyer on our website and blog as soon as I get a chance. Many of our family and friends will be invited along some sister churches in our area. I want our ribbon cutting ceremony to be a celebration of God's goodness towards First Goodwill Church in an intimate setting. So, my plan is to keep it simple with prayer first, jazz band, gospel artists, slide presentation, words of encouragement by local pastors and a comedian. It's not finalized yet and things may change of course. Our dedication service is scheduled for January 18th, 2009.

Emotionally and physically I'm drained. I've preached 49 out of 52 Sundays this year. And during our construction, I've preached every Sunday. I'm stressed, excited, and eager to get back into our sanctuary to get back to a normal way of doing ministry. I haven't been sleeping well because my mind is racing a mile a minute.

In December the family and I are going to the Congress of Christian Education in Desert Springs, Ca. This will be some rest time for me. I've already planned time off for Thanksgiving week but that time will be spent organizing the church for re-opening. So, I doubt that I'll get much rest then.

Keep us in your prayers.

5 comments:

  1. Hang in there Smith,I am glad to hear everything is going well. I am looking foward to the FGW family re-entering their sanctuary. I hope you get some rest soon. Talk to you real soon.


    BAW,sr

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to learn of your continual progress. My prayer is that you and your congregation are pleased with the end result.

    Make it a point to get some rest my friend. You will be glad you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doc, It's a blessing to be able to see light at the end of the tunnel. I praise God for your tenacity to see the project through to fruition. Like Nehemiah, this is a great work reverend, and you are to be commended for your steadfastness. I as well am looking for to the CCE in December. It will be a time of fellowship, golf, and relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thank God for the progress of your project. I am also thankful that God has been faithful to you as you strive to continue to preach and pastor during the process. Thank God for an understanding family that shares so much of you with the things of God. Be encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi... I am enjoying your blog. This is my first time here. I will keep you and your ministry in prayer.

    blessings!
    Shanita

    ReplyDelete