Monday, November 10, 2008

A Grateful Pastor!

Yesterday, I preached my own anniversary service in our morning worship. One of my life passages that serves as a constant reminder of appreciation for ministry is 1 Timothy 1:12 - "I thank my God for enabling me, counting me faithful, and putting me into ministry".

This passage of scripture summarizes, in my opinion, the heart a person who's grateful for being in ministry. I wanted to express to the church that I am grateful for being the pastor of First Goodwill MBC. I know that there are many other men who is more qualified, educated, gifted, talented, and capable to lead FGMBC but God placed me here for this season of ministry. I've made some bad decisions and I've made some good decisions. I've dropped the ball and I've ran with the ball. But God placed me here and I'm thankful.

I called to our memory some things were dear to me that God has done in our church for the last six years by impacting lives both directly and indirectly through our ministry.

- I remember all the events leading up to my pastorate
- I remember the call I received informing me of FGMBC's pastoral selection while getting a hair cut
- I remember my first meeting with the leadership team of FGMBC when I received the keys to the kingdom
- I remember the first sermon I preached "Lessons from a Grateful Heart" in Luke 17:12-19
- I remember my first sermon series, "Christian Bootcamp - Preparing You for Spiritual Warfare" - Ephesians 6: 10-19
- I remember our installation service with Pastor Payne, Pastor Wilson, Pastor Woodson, and Pastor Labat
- I remember our first youth trip to the San Diego Zoo
- I remember my first baptism when I baptized my son, Myles
- I remember the first family that joined our church, Joseph, Josiphina (I know I mispelled her name, A BIG SORRY), and Mario and baptized all three
- I remember our first church picnic
- I remember our first vacation bible school
- I remember our finanacial struggles and strains yet we overcame them with God's help
- I remember my first funeral of Sis. Mae Jean Smith

And, the list goes on and on.

But, while we have so much to remember, we have so much more to look forward to. I believe, we're going to see some fruit from our labor in the next 6 years. So, "My beloved brothers and sisters, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord".

We prayed together, gave together, and went home together with this benediction, Let's Finish What We Started Together".

8 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary Dr.Smith,Glad to know that you are in good spirits and ready to do the work.I am looking foward to seeing and worshipping in the new sanctuary.
    Once again keep up the good work bro.

    BAW,sr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary Clinton! God is going to do something great for you and your work in the years to come because of your faithfulness.

    Lance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary pastor!!!


    GOD Bless~~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary to a faithful pastor,preacher,person and pal. I wish you many more golden opportunities. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God bless you my brother. May the Good Lord reward your faithfulness.

    DeAntwan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated anniversary Clint.

    May the Lord continue to honor your steadfast and faithful commitment to preach the word and lead his people.

    Be Encouraged!

    Tony R.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As one who co-labors as a help meet in ministry, I appreciate your spirit as you reflect upon years of service. May God continue to do great and marvolous things through you and your ministry. God be praised.

    Happy Anniversary!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Clinton for the Happy Birthday wish. I especially like the compliment of "young". It made me and my heart smile, even though we know the real truth (lol).
    Take care.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete