Monday, November 2, 2009

Sunday Thoughts - 11/1/09

Good day!

I preached a challenging message yesterday. Every year during the pastor's anniversary, I generally preach a message on pastoral ministry. So yesterday I preached:

Topic: Can A Pastor Depend On You?
Text: Philippians 4:14-20

Thesis Statement: Your financial support aides the minister and mission of the church.

Transition Sentence: It is the mood of this text to communicate to the church that Christian fellowship is bound by mutual support.

1. The Decision To Support - v. 14-16

The text shows two (2) areas of support that need a decision. Understand that the decision to support these areas is not a decision to support one or the other. But a decision to see the work of the Lord progress locally and universally.

A. There is a decision to support the minister of the church- v. 14, 16
b. There is a decision to support the mission of the church - v. 15

2. The Description of Your Support - v. 17-18

a. God sees your sacrifice
b. God is well-pleased with your sacrifice

3. The Delight of Your Support - v. 19-20

The message was good but I felt like I was beating the members up when in fact I was not. My overall goal was to challenge our membership in their level of financial support that ultimately supports the man of God and mission of God. I'm in a unique position because my church, in it's history, as never supported a full-time pastor. The church has always been a bi-vocational pastoring church. Now, it is possible that God wants to move us into a full-time pastoring church. I'm not sure but I am praying hard as what I should do, go back to work or stay full-time at the church.

We continued our pastoral anniversary yesterday with Pastor E.A Jones and Living Gospel (Compton Ave location), Pastor Keith Green and Living Gospel (Main location), and Pastor Robert Calvary and Praise Chapel Church. The service was high spirited from start to finish.

The words of wisdom from Bishop Jones was awesome and inspiring and challenging. The one thing that Bishop Jones stated that I will hold on to for as long as I'm pastoring is "Whether you pastor 10s, 100s, or 1000s always remember these are precious people and God is watching how you deal with them." WOW!

The words of encouragement by pastor Keith Green and pastor Robert Calvary awesome. The sermon from Pastor E.A Jones was right on time, "Preach the Word"!

I kept from giving remarks until yesterday because I knew as soon as I stood I would breakdown in tears. I have not told the full story of the many challenges I've faced this year personally and in my public ministry that really has taken a toll on me but I refuse to quit. These service thus far has been an extreme blessing to me, my family, and the church. Thank you all so much!

I'm enjoying the visit of my mother-in-law. She's so funny and can talk your ears off. But good time having her here.

This week is going to be pretty busy with work at the church. I'm trying to do as much as I can at the church until receive clear direction from God as to what I should do, continue in bi-vocational ministry or trust God and stay in full-time ministry. Not sure yet.

There's preparation for a live recording this coming Saturday at the church with Theo Wilkins and Sound of Praise. Looking forward to that. And there's a concert on Friday with some of California's best gospel artist.

My friend and brother, Pastor Lance Mann, will be in town to preach for me on this coming Sunday and I'm looking forward to the fellowship. This is my first time someone from out-of-town and myself as well as the church is looking forward to it.

Keep us in your prayers, until next time, be blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Clinton,

    It appears that Bishop Jones was right on point with what he told you. Those words blessed me 3000 miles away. I am so honored to be your first out of town guest. But this is also a huge burden that I have to carry. I can't wait to get there for the fellowship bro.

    Lance

    ReplyDelete