Thursday, November 19, 2009

I'm Blessed - Psalms 23:5

Verse 5 presents a change of emphasis in Psalm 23. Note that in verse 4 the pronouns change. Until now we’ve been talking about the Lord--he makes, he leads, he restores, he guides. But now we no longer speak about the Lord; now, we speak to the Lord: For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff they comfort me. And verse 5 begins with this intimate relationship as well: You prepare a table before me. You anoint my head with oil.

Here we have a shift of emphasis because the role of the Lord appears to change. Up to this point the Lord is my shepherd. Now the Lord appears to be a host who prepares a table before me, anoints me as a guest, fills my drinking cup and invites me to stay in the house of the Lord all my days.

There is much debate as to whether David leaves the analogy of the Good Shepherd to discussing God as a Good Host. I believe the analogy is still the same. David doesn’t transition from discussing the intimate relationship between Shepherd and sheep. If anything the discussion has become more precious, comforting, and encouraging.

Notice that in the first three verses, David refers to God in the third person: “The Lord is my Shepherd. He makes me lie down…He leads me…He restores my soul.”

Then, in v. 4-5, David shifts, referring to Him in second person: “I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me…You anoint my head with oil.” And then, he closes by returning to third person: “Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”

Why does David switch from talking about God with ‘He’ to talking to God with ‘You,’ and why does it happen in v. 4? Why didn’t he just go on to say, ‘Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for He is with me; His rod and His staff, they comfort me’?”

May I suggest that the change “He” to the more intimate “You” happens in v. 4 precisely because it’s there he speaks of the valley he has walked. He has felt the shadows closing in. Verse 4 describes the crisis points in his life. And in those times, something deep happened between him and God.

You’ve noticed it too, haven’t you? We’re more prone to talk about God when we are in the green pastures and more prone to talk to God when we’re in the dangerous ravine. In the light, we are prone to wander off in pursuit of greener grass. But in the dark, we hug His knee.

David changes from comments about God to communion with God at God’s table.

Psalms could be broken into two (2) parts: first part we see God as Shepherd in verses 1-3 and in the second part we see God as Host. Many try to tie the metaphor of Shepherd to verses 5-6. I guess you can do that but I believe based on the reading and outline of the text that the overall theme of Psalms 23 is the demonstration of love and care from Shepherd towards the sheep. However, when we get to verses 5 and 6 there is a transition that does not wipe away the metaphor of Shepherd/sheep relations but it intensifies the relationship to show God as a gracious host.

Verse 4 David says, “Yea, tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for You are with me. Your rod and Your staff they comfort me. Verse 5 begins with You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies, You anoint my head with oil, my cup runs over. The comfort of Psalms 23 is that God is not only the Shepherd who provides and protects but He is also the Shepherd who blesses His sheep.

Let me put it this way, to experience the hospitality of God is a blessed privilege for us to enjoy!

Say what you want about the relational transition from Shepherd to Host there is a common thread of confidence with the sheep that extends into verse 5. This text provides three (3) blessings to enjoy that is birth out of God’s hospitality:

I. God’s Hospitality is a FESTIVE Blessing

“You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies”

Point: The table is a place of safety and satisfaction. Our enemies can't stop what God has already prepared.

A. The table is an invitation to eternal life – John 6:53-56


B. The table is intentional for joyous living – John 16:22


II. God’s Hospitality is a FAVORED Blessing

“You anoint my head with oil”

Point: The anointing is God's stamp of approval! The anointing is not the power of God but a sovereign act of God.

This could be tricky in that many will suggest that one person has more of the anointing than the other but that's not true.

A. All believers are anointed at the time of salvation
B. The anointing is not for the glory of man

III. God’s Hospitality is a FLOWING Blessing

“My cup runs over”

Point: God gives us more than enough, consistently!

1 comment:

  1. Good look Clint. I know the hard work of maintaining an fresh and faithful view of this classic passage is a challenge.


    Keep up the good work brother.
    Praying with you.

    Tony R.

    ReplyDelete