Monday, July 6, 2009

Sunday Thoughts - 7/5/09

This 4th of July weekend was fun with the family! I hung out with them all weekend. Friday, I smoked a brisket and hot links. We made sandwiches all day. We went to Venice Beach and walked from 4 – 8:30 pm. My legs were hurting so bad but the weather was nice and we had fun. Weird people still hang out at the beach!

Saturday, I woke up at about 5:30 am to study for Sunday before going to Palmdale, Ca for our new family tradition: 4th of July Crab boil with crab legs, sausage, potatoes, and corn in a mild seasoning spice. It was hot and windy in Palmdale. We ate so much and it was good. I loss track of time and Tracy came to tell me that it was 9:45 pm. We were having so much fun that I had no idea it was that late! We left at 11 pm.

My plan was to leave much sooner than that to finish my work for Sunday. Didn’t happen!

I woke at 5:30 am to get started only to change my preaching plans. I preached:

Topic: Finish What You Started
Text: 1 Corinthians 15:58

Context
The last problem Paul deals with is the confusion of the Corinthians over the doctrine of resurrection. This was particularly confusing to the pagan, for resurrection was a concept totally foreign to Greek thought. First, Paul establishes the resurrection of Jesus as s historic fact in the first 11 verses of chapter 15. He then stresses the centrality of resurrection in Christian faith in verses 12-18, linking it to the culmination of God’s plan to establish God’s rule through Christ over all things in verses 19-29. If there were no resurrection there would be no reason for believers to make choices that lead to suffering here and now!
As to how the dead are raised, there are at best analogies. As a seed burst into new and transformed life, so will we, trading our natural, sinful bodies for imperishable bodies that shine with beauty of God Himself. Every believer will be transformed, and then, death and sin left far behind, we will experience the victory won for us our by Lord Jesus Christ.
When we get to verse 58 there seems to be a transition and it starts with the word “Therefore…” Therefore, ties what is about to be said to what has already been said. The question I had was, how does verse 58 relate to the first 57 verses? In summary, here’s what I believe the context is tailored to teach us…
Thesis Statement: While we wait for the resurrection of each believer, in the meantime, there is still much work to be done for the kingdom of God.
We look forward with great anticipation for the day when we shall live eternally with God. But until then there is work to be done. This text offers to us three (3) essential elements of our service to and for Him.
I. The Conditions of Our Work
- God expects us to be focused – “Be steadfast..”
- God expects us to be disciplined – “…immovable…”
- God expects us to be consistent – “…always abounding in the work of the Lord”
II. The Challenge of Our Work
The text assumes two things: 1). Every believer is at work 2). If you’re not at work, get to work.
- The Importance of Christian Work – “…knowing…”
- The Intensity of Christian Work – “...our labor
III. The Compensation for Our Work – “…not in vain.”
- What we do for God is not useless
- Only what we do for Christ will last


Lord, forgive me for goofing off this weekend! I’ll resume our study on the names of God this coming Sunday. At least I have a head start.

Tracy and I were extremely tired yesterday but baby Jimmy wanted to come over, so needless to say, he and his mother came over after church. We watched Madea Goes to Jail and ate tacos.

I tried to watch the interview with Jermaine Jackson on CNN but decided to call it a night. Back to work I be.

I really wanted to go to the E.K Bailey conference for expository preaching training but that didn’t happen again, ggggrrrrrgggrrggrrr! I’ll purchase material when it’s available.

I’m out!

No comments:

Post a Comment