Thursday, July 2, 2009

First Goodwill Praise Report - Pt. 2

Last night we held our Quarterly Church Conference. Most of our time was spent thanking God blessing our church during the 1st half of this 2009 year. After listing a number of things we can thank God, I then asked the question, “If someone asked you what you love most about your church what would you say?” Here are a few responses:

Fellowship – Our members love the fellowship and feelings of warmth displayed among the members of First Goodwill. She continued that our church has been through a lot together but “We can still depend of each other!” I agree totally, we can depend on each other. We may disagree but at the end of the day we come together and love each other. We rally together to get the done no matter how many is presence. We enjoy each others company and look forward to hanging out every chance we can get.

Preaching/Teaching – It was stated, almost in unison, that the members love the preaching/teaching of our church. My follow-up response was going to be with a question, “What do you love about the preaching/teaching of our church?” But before I could get it out responses started pouring out: The preaching/teaching is relevant, transparent, challenging, encouraging, enjoyable, real, powerful… Praise God! I work extremely hard on the sermons and lessons preached at our church to insure accurate interpretation as well as relevant to the reality of daily Christian living in world filled with trouble and sin.

Great worship – We don’t have all the bells and whistles like most churches. However, we have church at First Goodwill. I have a full band with piano, organ, drums, background singers, trumpets, saxophones, bass, and guitar. We sing all the latest gospel music as well as some old ones too. Great sound, it’s called tracks! And on occasion John P Kee, Hezekiah Walker, Kim Burrell, Youthful Praise, Carolyn Traylor, GMWA (all divisions), Mississippi Mass Choir, Milton Brunson/Tommies, or some well known gospel artist stops by during the invitation, fellowship, and/or the offering. Great sound, it’s called CD. And as of late God has really blessed our services as the Holy Spirit takes control. In at 10 am out by 11:30 am. Great spirit-filled worship!

I made a commitment to our church last night as leader we’re going to celebrate more of victories. We’re not neglecting the reality of challenges but I remember the words of a hymn that’s been ringing in my heart for the past few weeks: “Each victory to help you, some others to win (Hymn: Yield Not To Temptation)!”

Our church has a rich history but God has not finished making history with us yet!

I thank God for being the pastor of First Goodwill Missionary Baptist Church. And I pray God uses me to lead our church into greater heights in Him.

My inspirational ministry passage is found 1st Timothy 1:12-17:

I thank him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he judged me faithful, appointing me to his service, though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life. To the King of ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

For those of you without a church home or a personal relationship with God come try God at First Goodwill Missionary Baptist Church located at 6900 South Compton Ave in Los Angeles, Ca 90001. The Word of God is being preached with power and conviction with the ultimate goal of saving the sinner and strengthening the saint. Worship times: Sunday @ 10 am and Wednesday Nights @ 7 pm.

For additional information about our ministry please check out our website at www.fgmbc.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment