Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Danger of Scripture Familiarity

I have a challenge this week studying to preach one of the most precious bible passages (in my opinion, ever), Psalms 23.

Psa 23:1 A Psalm of David. The LORD [is] my shepherd; I shall not want.

Psa 23:2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.

Psa 23:3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake.

Psa 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You [are] with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Psa 23:5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over.

Psa 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell [fn] in the house of the LORD Forever.

I learned this passage of scripture as a little boy in Sunday School class. One of the first bible passages, Tracy and I, taught to our children was Psalms 23. This passage of scripture is read in funeral and worship services. Many of us who need comfort run to Psalms 23. Most believers have read, studied, and/or heard messages on Psalms 23.

One would think there is nothing more to be said about this passage of scripture because it’s all been said before by some of the greatest preachers and teachers of my life time.

I’ve heard some great sermons on this passage by some of my homiletical heroes. Men who picked this Psalms apart, verse-by-verse, word-for-word, the entire Psalms, and sentence-by-sentence. It will be a challenge to ignore all that I remember about this passage and approach the text with fresh eyes.

Going into my study this week, I’m reminding myself that preaching this text is not about competition and comparisons, it’s about accuracy. Don’t add nothing to the text and don’t take nothing away from the text. Just say what the text has to say.

I pray God is pleased with my effort of study on Psalms 23.

2 comments:

  1. Praying for your work on this challenging passage.

    Tony R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother, I'm praying for your success with Psalms 23. I'm sure your treatment of this text will yield everlasting fruit.

    ReplyDelete