Monday, August 18, 2008

Is it a Prophecy or Prophe-lie?

I was just thinking about something that happened to me yesterday after church. After our service someone came to me and said; "I have a special word for you from the Lord". My eyebrows raised with apprehension and he said; "Stay on the wall your harvest is about to burst. Your church is about grow and this place will be filled beyond your wildest imagination". Then to confirm that what he was saying was a special word from the Lord, he says; "A prophecy isn't a prophecy until the prophecy is fulfilled!"

I left church and went home to relax after a long taxing day but the statement; "A prophecy isn't a prophecy until it's fulfilled" kept playing in my head. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciated the words of encouragement. However, I have a problem with labeling words of encouragement as prophecy. I think that sometimes in our attempt to encourage one another in church, we confuse edification with what we consider as a special word of futuristic revelation, prophecy.

Here's what I mean, to give encouragement to another person (believer) does not require labeling our words and attempts with spiritual terminology to be deep. I have people on my job that are Christians and one lady has a habit of saying "My spirit told me." One Monday, we were discussing getting tickets and I was explaining that at one point in my life I think my middle name was Clint "Get A Ticket" Smith because every time I looked around I was getting a ticket. But in the last several years, I have not received a ticket, thank God. She responds, "Yea, the other day I wanted to run the red light but my spirit told me not to". I couldn't help but to respond, "It wasn't your spirit, it was the photo camera that will take your picture and send you a $300 ticket if don't cross the intersection in time that made you stop". She laughed and said; "You're right!"

We've made church so complicated now that the basics of Christian living like, faith, love, joy, obedience, etc isn't enough anymore. I remember preaching a series out of Hebrews chapter 11 (I can't remember the sermon) and I was arguing the point that we don't need supernatural experiences or special revelations to validate our faith. The men and women mentioned in Hebrews 11 were rewarded because of their faithful obedience to God. The practical principle in Hebrews 11 and throughout scripture is that God rewards people who are faithful to Him even if it costs you everything. Prime example, Job. Job lost everything in one day but stayed faithful to God as difficult as it may have been.

I believe the Word of God is all need for revelation. As a matter of fact, Paul said to Timothy that "The Word of God is inspired and profitable for correction, rebuke, doctrine, and instruction in righteousness that the man of God maybe complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work (2Ti 3:15-16)". Biblical inspiration is not about obtaining special revelation above what he's already said in Scripture.

Is it a prophecy or prophe-lie? Or is it words of encouragement labeled with spiritual terminology to be deep rather than practical?

3 comments:

  1. Clinton, we live in an age where it is fashionable to labeled "holy" if you are able to speak a word into somebody's life. Prophecy is defined to mean a sign, and Jesus said to us in his word that he is the last sign. You cannot receive everything that somebody tries to deposit into your life, as if the Lord doesn't know where you live and how to get in touch with you. You know what the Lord told you about your church. Trust what he said to you and never doubt.

    Lance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clinton, J Moss has a song entitled, "Everybody aint got a word!"

    That's all I have to say about that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a great catch! Sometimes ministry has us so overwhelmed that we miss when someone assumes God's place in our lives. Besides, you already talk to God about your ministry.

    ReplyDelete