Monday, August 25, 2008

Important News Bulleting!! Hurrincane Clint Is Coming

This weekend at First Goodwill, we experienced our very first ever hurricane. The force was fierce and the water was flowing. It was on Saturday, I met with our contractor, architect, electrician, and HVAC contractor to discuss particulars as well as start drawing plans for stage area, bathroom remodel, etc. At the same time, we lease our small building to an Hispanic church and they wanted use our pool for baptizing. I got in the office early Saturday to get everything going for baptizism and to prepare for my meeting. Has we were wrapping up our meeting, I heard water flowing and it dawned on me that the baptismal pool was overflowing. I ran to pull the plug and turn the water off but in the process the cork broke. So, I started running water all over again and needed to fine something else to plug the drain, I did. The water reached a comfortable level and I thought; "Ok, all is well but I should let run just little more". I turned one nozzle to the off position (I thought!). The Hispanic church baptized and I was ready to leave because Tracy and I had made plans to spend the day together.

I got up Sunday morning to go to church and prepare for the day. When I went to open the door, I heard water running. I started fumbling with my key rushing trying to open the door. Once I got into the church there was water everywhere. The baptismal pool overflowed. I ran upstairs and literally dove into the pool fully clothed to pull out the plug. Has the pool emptied I still heard water running. The nozzle I called myself turning off I actually turned on. I got towels, mops, old clothes, newpapers, and whatever I could get my hands on to try and clean up my mess. For two hours, I mopped trying to get the water up and then at about 8 am I gave up.

When the members came and saw caution tape everywhere, naturally they wondered; "What happened?" I explained my mistake; "I made the mess but I was not trying to destroy the church to get construction done!" See, we were having a meeting after our morning service for updating and planning for construction. I still have some members who think I'm crazy and they think I will go to any length in getting the work done. Of course, they think I planned it but I didn't.

Needless to say, I did not get to preach my sermon on Our Commitment to Disciples which would have completed by sermon series because I wrestled with hurricane Clint and was not able to complete my writing. I have what I call life saver sermons for moments like this, so I preached:

Topic: Spread Good Rumors

Text: Mattew 9:27-31
When Jesus departed from there, two blind men followed Him, crying out and saying, "Son of David, have mercy on us!" And when He had come into the house, the blind men came to Him. And Jesus said to them, "Do you believe that I am able to do this?" They said to Him, "Yes, Lord."Then He touched their eyes, saying, "According to your faith let it be to you." And their eyes were opened. And Jesus sternly warned them, saying, "See that no one knows it." But when they had departed, they spread the news about Him in all that country.

Thesis Statement: Spreading good rumors is not a hard thing to do when you are aware of the fact that the good outweighs the bad.

I. Reasons for Spreading Good Rumors - v. 27-28
  • Following Jesus Demands Good Rumors - v. 27a
  • The Mercy of God Desreves Good Rumors - v. 27b
  • Answered Prayer is a Deligthfully Good Rumor - v. 28-30a

II. The Restriction For Spreading Good Rumors -v. 30b

Point: Jesus told them to not say a word! Why? For whatever the reason, this is one of those times when disobeying God is in order.

III. The Result In Spreading Good Rumors - v. 31

Point: Blessed people can't keep quiet! The world needs to hear about a goodness God.

The Lord blessed even in the midst of my stormy mess yesterday morning! God be praised.

2 comments:

  1. Pastor I'm praying for your recuperation from hurricane Clint, and trusting the message preached blessed your congregation. Thanks for your well crafted outline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurricane Clint tore you up huh...LOL. Thank God for a great reserve to tap into. Love the outline my friend. Stay on the wall.

    Lance

    ReplyDelete