Monday, January 21, 2013

Enjoying The Privileges

Every year when The Martin Luther King Holiday comes around I get a normal response when asked: "Do you work tomorrow?" For the past 20+ years my response is the same, "Yes, I work tomorrow". And they respond as usual..."Really, man you should take off! Don't you know what this day means?"

I respond I know what this day means..."It means I have to go to work!"

My response is not neglecting the rich heritage of African Americans but it is to enjoy what they've fought and died for over the years. If you have the privilege of taking off on this day then take off. And if you have the privilege of going to work on this day then go to work. Either way, it's a privilege we can enjoy because of what those before have given of themselves to bring to pass privileges that many of parents, grandparents, great grandparents, and so on have not been able to enjoy because time would not permit.

My grandfather said to me once in one of many conversations we shared together, "Boy, the best way to make me happy alive or dead is to make sure you enjoy the privileges that Doc King(that's how my grandfather referred to Martin Luther King), and so many others have fought for in this world...equality".

It is my sincere hope and prayer that my grandfather is smiling down on me as I enjoy the privilege of going to work with equality.

Enjoy the privilege of working or at home as a reminder that these privileges came with a cost!

No comments:

Post a Comment