Wednesday, February 24, 2010

How Do I Answer This Question

In recent months, I’ve been asked the following question:

- Have you done enough?

I’m not sure if there is an answer to this question that would be appropriate. And to be quite honest, I’ve never thought of an answer. As well, I don’t know where this question (and others like it) is coming from. The struggles at First Goodwill are no different than most churches in the USA that can be summed up in two words: LIMITED RESOURCES. The struggle of limited resources is not isolated to the size or location of a particular church. However, I am becoming more and more cautious to whom I talk to about the challenges of our church. Actually, I’ve stopped talking to people and started praying to God. I recognize that when God is moving that the enemy will do whatever he can to block, slow down, or hinder the progress of God. Yes, the growth of our church is moving at a snails pace. But believe you me, if we keep plugging along our roots will be strong where lives are being changed for the kingdom of God. I don’t want a revolving door congregation. Our motto is developing a membership that sticks and stays. This is another way of saying; we want to open the front door while closing the back door at the same time.

There is also the saying: “Fine wine takes time”. I believe the principle applies to the church: “A strong church takes time to develop”. I don’t believe in overnight success. Success does not come without some type of struggle and perseverance. Who determines the success of a church? Who says a church is healthy because they have bodies, bucks, and a building? Why do we judge a church based on membership size? The church belongs to God and He determines our growth factor. It’s my responsibility and the responsibility of the members to hang in there.

I love the church and people God has given me to pastor. We have our struggles but God has kept us thus far. As a matter of fact, the 2nd Sunday of March we will celebrate 67 years of ministry at First Goodwill Missionary Baptist Church. GOD HAS BEEN FAITHFUL TO OUR CHURCH!

Have I done enough? Probably not according to the standards of others. One of my favorite passages of scripture is Hebrews 6:10; “For God is not unjust to forget your labor of love that you’ve shown towards the saints…”

The answer to this question is simple, now that I think about it, “Brethren, be steadfast, immoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.”

God enlarge our territory in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment