Monday, January 5, 2009

Sunday Thoughts - 01-05-09

It's good to be in 2009, what a privilege, honor, and blessing!



Our first service in 2009 was wonderful. We're still unpacking and waiting for Edison to install new transformer for electrical upgrade. The building is extremely cold and many of our members struggle with it so they don't come or if they do the attention is on cold and not God. I'm praying for Edison to come out this week to install transformer so our electrical work can be completed.



At any rate, the preaching event was exciting (and I'm not saying that because I was preaching). I preached rather hard yesterday in our service as if it was my last time. Going into the new year I have a new appreciation for the preaching event and want it to be more meaningful in exposition as well as presentation. I'm focusing my attention on my presentation this year wanting to tighting up on speech, gestures, words, volume, etc. I'm still learning and want to improve.



Sermon Outline:



Text: Luke 17:11-19

Topic: I'm Grateful



Thesis: We have much to be thankful for!



1. Thank God for His Presence - v. 11-13

Point: God will meet you right where you are.



2. Thank God for His Power - v. 14

Point: The Word of God has the power to change your life no matter how bad it is.



3. Thank God Personally - v. 15-19

Point: It's your responsibility to praise God for His goodness! Take advantage!



Thank God for His word! We didn't catch any in the net but we'll keep fishing until then.



I'm getting ready for our church conference meeting this Wednesday night. I feel a deep desire to focus on evangelism and ministry. Our meeting will not be spent on financial issues. The discussion is simple, WE'RE BROKE! We're going to discuss ministry through building meaningful relationships. I want to be as positive as I possible can. However, I can't talk about the future without discussing some of the issues in the early part of 2008. It was a hard year for us as a church the first 6 months of 2008. We pulled through but it needs to be discussed in a preventative manner to insure history doesn't repeat itself. So, I'm praying as to how I should approach our year-end review.


I've abandoned our series "The Importance of Supporting the Local Church" for now and starting a new series this coming Sunday entitled " The God of Our Trust". This sermon series will be based on the names of God (Elohim, El Shaddai, Jehovah-Jireh, etc). I pray God will bless our efforts and our understanding of God so we can trust Him more and love Him deeper.



In 2009, 3rd Sunday is Evangelism Emphasis Sunday and 4th Sunday is Stewardship Emphasis Sunday. I plan to preach messages emphasing the importance of Evangelism and Stewardship all year long. In our bible study time, I'm going to complete the book of James and spend the next 6 months on worship. I'm researching information for this study.

I'm implementing a new members class and leadership training course. I met with our leaders a couple of weeks ago and in our devotional lesson I explained that leadership positions at First Goodwill is earned not appointed. One of the mistakes made over the years was that people were "nominated" for key positions with no leadership skills, integrity, or spiritual maturity. It was about filling spots for the sake of filling spots and that needs to change. Implementing a leadership course sets a standard for leadership as well as provides communication of expectations and responsibilities. Plus, if a person wants a leadership position he or she will be willing to learn what it means to be a leader at FGC.

Our ministry focus will be corporate mentoring for all ages. All ministry teams will make it their aim to mentor each other as they work together in ministry. This will require each person to focus on self-development to be a consistent example for those they mentor. I'm reading a download packet entitled "Essential Church (Reclaiming a generation of dropouts)". This packet has challenged me to look at the relationship between the seasoned saint and our young people. One key element that's missing in our church is the seasoned saint/young people relationship much like the relationship between Paul and Timothy. One thing that kept me rooted in the church is preachers and deacons who took me under their wings to develop me as a Christian man. This was vital in the early development stages of my life. We need it today!

I'm really excited about this year. I believe God is going to do some good things for our church but we have to be strategic in our efforts.

This is the first year that I feel like I'm pastoring the church now and I'm excited about it.

It's good to be back in the blogging community, I missed you guys, let's stay in the fight together.

Be blessed until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Wow what a post. I am constantly impressed with your posts and more importantly your passion for ministry. I love your emphasis for this year Clinton and I will be praying for you guys that God's will for your lives will be quickly manifested for you.

    Lance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pastor,

    My prayers are with you and your church as it sounds like everything God has given your hands to do has given you a full plate, but God is able.

    Keep running,

    Owens

    ReplyDelete