Monday, December 15, 2008

A Challenging Day In the Word!

Here are additional pictures: Welcome Center

Welcome Center mural. "We commit to WORSHIP by rejoicing in the Lord in all things (Psalms 34-1-2)

Women's Bathroom

Men's Bathroom
We had a good but challenging worship service yesterday. It was cold in the building. The city has us handcuffed right now for inspection. They need to come out and inspect work before Edison can install new transformer for our 400 watt ampage. So, we could not run our central air and heating. Ugh!
Our real challenge was with the Word of God. Last week after our grand opening, I started asking God for direction in my preaching assignment for the next couple of weeks. It is my intention to get back our series "The Importance of Supporting the Local Church" at the beginning of the year. But, I wanted to say something that would encourage our church and ride the wave of excitement from our newly rennovated church. So, I prayed for direction.
I started going through my notebook that has all of my information for the project to formulate invoices for church records and our finance team to account for all dollars spent on the project. As I was going through my notebook, our project verse from Haggai 1:8 hit me dead in the face. The text says; Go up to the mountains and bring wood and build the temple, that I may take pleasure in it and be glorified," says the LORD.
When I selected this verse, I had no intentions on preaching it. I used it as a vision verse and communicated it in one on one conversations or whenever I got a chance but never consider preaching it from the pulpit. I read the verse and then I read both chapters of Haggai and said to the Lord; "Nope not this one!" I kept looking and praying for direction only to be directed right back to Haggai 1:8. After long, God and I started having the great debate about preaching this text.
My argument with God was that we didn't need to preach a text where He was fussing with the people about not rebuilding His temple. As far as I was concerned, we did rebuild and it's time to move forward. Long story short, we all know God won the debate.
His argument was "Remind the people that this is my church and it means a lot to Me!"

Text: Haggai 1:1-15
Topic: Let His Glory Fill This House
Thesis: God is paying close attention to how we treat His church, physically.
Transitional Sentence: This text serves as a forwarning to not let this church get to like it was before.
There are three (3) requirements for insuring God's presence remains in this house:
1. God's glory will fill this when we MASTER MAINTAINING RIGHT PRIORITIES - v. 1-4
Point : Put God first in everything that we do!
2. God's Glory will fill this house when we MONITOR OUR OWN BEHAVIOR PATTERNS - v. 5-11 - ("Consider your ways!")
- Considering your ways must be PERSONAL - You have to acknowledge when you've wronged God by making Him second place. v. 5
- To not consider your ways is counter-PRODUCTIVE (v. 6) - In summary, the text says there is a whole lot of motion but no progress
- Considering your ways must be PUBLIC - You will be held accountable by God for everything you do. v. 6
3. God's glory will fill this house when we MAGNIFY GOD WITH OUR OBEDIENCE - v. 12-15
Point: Obeying God is doing what He says even when you don't have all the details
- Obey the Word of God - v. 12-13
- Obey God by doing what His Word says - v. 14-15
Close: God's glory will fill this house because His promise is true when He says: "I am with you" (v. 13)
I trust God knows what He's doing because I felt like I was fussing at the church.
A former member came to our morning worship service who used to be our sound tech. He lives in Lancaster now and says the drive is too long for him to make it each week. He loved the new appearance of the church and who knows what will come of it in the future.
After service, our women's ministry had their Christmas luncheon at Sizzlers. Tracy, who is our ministry leader, came home extremely excited about the fellowship and was very encouraged. This coming year I'm spending more time with our women's ministry and men's ministry teaching them our two-fold purpose. First, win the lost through relationship building and second, mentor each other through genuine fellowship and the Word.
I went home to rest! I have not fully recoved from all the work we did getting ready for our grand opening and returning to work so quickly. So, I went to Church's Chicken for some legs, thighs, and fried okra. Tried to watch "Tropic Thunder" but before long the movie was watching me.
I wanted to go to George Hurtt's installation but was extremely exhausted so I decided to stay home and rest because this is my last week of work before we shut down for the rest of the year. It's going to be long hours and a stressful week.
This Sunday, we will have a Christmas Benefit concert with Jesse Campbell and other gospel artists giving by CGMUZIC Productions. It's a toy drive to provide presents for needy families this holiday season. Please pray for those who will minister during this time.
Until next time, MAN DOWN!

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there,Smith its going to be okay man.Man the hardest part is over.








    BAW,sr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay strong because I need you to show me how to handle this point of our ministry.

    Lance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pastor!
    Isn't it funny that we attempt to tell God what "we" are going to do? I've been recently asking God to "reconsider" some things that He has required of me. The more I've been asking why me, the more he's been asking me "why not me". Thank you for your timely messaging and helping me to see that I am not alone. Even Jesus asked God if it were possible to remove his cup from Him. What would make me thing I was any different in that I would have to do some good things that didn't alwyays seem good to me.

    Also, that sounds like a great message that you preached.
    Blessings!
    Shanita

    ReplyDelete
  4. You continue to be a blessing to us all. Great post and pictures.

    ReplyDelete