Monday, June 23, 2008

The Prayer of Jabez

Yesterday we acknowledged all of the graduates in our church for 2008. I was preparing to continue our series on the 5 functions of the church; ministry, fellowship, worship, evangelism, and discipleship. The sermon yesterday was going to be on worship. However, morning when I got up "The Prayer of Jabez" was on my heart and mind to preach to encourage our young people as they enter into a new phase of life. I never study this text before just read the book and heard my pastor HB preach the text last year during my pastoral anniversary (That's another reason why I never wanted to preach it). I gave it my best and the people were blessed.

Topic: The Prayer of Jabez
Text: 1 Chronicles 4:9:10

Sermon Thesis: God is in control of your destiny.


I. The Prayer was from an honorable life

Point: Jabez lived and honorable life even though his name meant pain.

Application: As a child of God, you don't have live up to the name people give you. You make a difference and you can make difference regardless of your background.


II. The Prayer was for blessings

Point: Jabez prayed that God would push out the borders.

Application: God knows your potential.


III. The Prayer was for protection

Point: Jabez prayed that God would protect him from evil.

Application: When God blesses us, we need to be protected from ourselves and from others.


VI. The Prayer was answered

Point: Jabez's prayer was answered because of a pure heart.

Application: Answered prayer is a guarantee when we pray with the right motives.

May God be honored and glorified as we apply the Word of God to our lives.

1 comment:

  1. My brother I can understand your apprehension to preaching that text, because your Pastor preached that same text in April at our church in Newark, NJ during our 130th Church Anniversary and HE MURDERED OUR CHURCH. But I will say that your outline suggests that you did a great job with your assignment. God be praised!

    Pastor Lance

    ReplyDelete