Tuesday, November 28, 2017

HANGING UNTIL YOUR CHANGE COMES


Some months ago I preached a famous passage of scripture; Proverbs 3:5-6 entitled "Trusting God at all Cost!" For months this text had been  on my heart and mind during my devotional time. So, when I got the nod to preach that morning Proverbs 3:5-6 was the text to preach. I opened with a childhood story experience….

I’m the oldest of 3 boys and in our house it was never a dull moment, we always found something crazy to do.  This particular day, we decided to play cops and robbers. My cousin and I were the robbers and my brothers were the cops. We had just robbed the Monopoly game bank and stole all the money. We lived in Lynwood, Ca on State St at the time. We had a house, with a back house, and a garage with an upper room. We were making our daring escape as the cops were fast approaching for our arrest. We went to our hideout, the garage with an upper room. We heard the sirens of cops coming to capture the two thieves. So, my cousin and I had to come up with a plan quick to escape arrest and the penalty of spending time in our homemade jail made of bushes, branches, and 2x4 lumber in a ditch filled with muddy water.

Trust me, we had no intention of getting caught with our Monopoly money. So, we decided to tie sheets together and throw over the window ledge to climb down. My cousin was much bigger than I was so I told him to hold the end of the sheet as I make my way down the side of the wall with a portion of our Monopoly money. I climbed out onto the side of the wall to walking down. About midway through, I hear…”Clint, come back I can’t hold it much longer!” I looked up and looked down. I looked up and looked down. Needless to say, I found myself in a sticky situation. Again, “Clint, come back, I can’t hold this much longer!” By this time, my brothers transitioned from being cops to firemen. They’re standing at the bottom and yelled, “Clint, let go we will catch you…TRUST US!” Well, I let go and the fall seemed like an eternity. I hit the ground and I no longer had to look down because I was looking up. All I could see was stars going around in circles above my head.

My brothers came over asking if I was alright and my response was a classic one: “What do you think bleep….bleep…bleep? I will never trust you bleep…bleep…bleep guys again!”

It is this childhood experience that reminds me daily that people, places, situations, money, etc will let you down but God will never let you down.

I also learned another lesson after the message, be prepared to fall flat on your back when you try to get ahead of God.  There comes a time in life when we say, “IN GOD I TRUST” moves from just saying it to actually living the trust we say we have in God.

I made a promise to God years ago that I would not get ahead of Him in what He wants to do in my ministry, career, personal life, relationships, and life in general. It’s hard to do when you want things to happen a certain way and quicker then right now. So, I’ve taken some radical steps of trusting God that many people won’t understand and I refuse to explain until He releases me to do so.  Until then and for now, I’m at peace with the decision I’ve made to radically trust God. I encourage you to do the same. Don’t get ahead of God, walk with God, and let him lead you. You will be at peace that surpasses everybody’s understanding.

Trust me…..NO …. TRUST GOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment