Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Preaching is my medicine!

Several years ago I read a book entitled "Preaching through a Storm".
Unfortunately (or fortunately), I gave the book to someone else to read so I don't remember much. But I do remember a few thoughts of the book (paraphrased) that has come back to me in recent days. One of those thoughts is when a preacher goes through a storm that storm will do one of two things: draw the preacher to the pulpit or push him away from the pulpit.

As we have seen, there are many pastors being pushed away from the pulpit and pastoral ministry. However, for me PREACHING IS MY MEDICINE and PASTORAL MINISTRY IS MY DESIRE! In other words, I'm drawn to the pulpit and not from the pulpit when going through a storm.

While in transition, it has been a challenge for me. I miss preaching/ teaching and shepherding God's people on a weekly basis. While it's important for me to be poured into after 9 years of pouring out, I feel like Jeremiah...I got to say something on God's behalf weekly.
I also recognize the difficulty this transition has been on my family.

And therefore, I recognize that I'm not alone during this challenging time. This has led me to pray daily for my family to protect us from bitterness, hurt, and unforgiveness. Tracy loves ministry work just as much as I do. So for the both of us the transition is challenging.
Yet, we both look forward to getting back to work in building God's kngdom. I thank God for her and love her for her support.

While times have been difficult, I thank God for my church family...Bishop Sanders and Mt Pilgrim. They have received me and the family so graciously and with warmth that it has lightened the load of this season. They didn't/dont ask me why i'm not at First Goodwill anymore. As a matter of fact they've been pushing for me to get busy.
Well, I am ready to get busy! I truly thank God for my pastor and church family. May God bless you all!

God has also allowed me to form a bond with brothers, some pastors and others who are not, that's been praying and encouraging me on a regular basis. Thank God for each of you. Our talks and prayer times has also helped me to stay focused on my calling and they don't treat me any different now that I'm not "pastoring". Actually, it seems as if they're respect for me has increased. Nevertheless, I thank God for you brothers. Let brotherly love continue!
Sunday, I had the privilege of worshipping with pastor Stan Richards and the Beacon Light Church family. What a wonderful time of worship!

I preached a message entitled: Living Above the Worry - Matthew 6:25-34. The point of the message is that God warns those of us who do worry to stop it and to those who are not worrying, don't start! God, your heavenly Father, will take care of you. The church received the message well and I believe I needed the message just as much as the next person in the church. I do worry a lot about many things. But thank for confidence in knowing that my worry is really not necessary when I look at all that God has done, is doing, and will do as long as I trust Him. Thank you to Pastor Richards for being so warm in his introduction and for being a true brother and friend. I look forward to us worshipping together again!

This coming Sunday (God willing), I will be preaching at Village Baptist Church with Pastor W Charles Harris for their Men's and Women's Day service at 3:30 pm. It is my plan to preach: We Can Do It Better Together - Acts 2:42-47. If you're not busy please come out and receive worship and the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment