Thursday, May 20, 2010

Introduction

This is the introduction to my online book on bivocational ministry entitled: The Journey of a Bivocational Pastor.

In Sept of 2002, I started a journey of as a bi-vocational pastor and 8 years later I’m still a bi-vocational pastor. Without a doubt, I have dreams of being in full-time ministry but only God knows what lies ahead.

I don’t regret my decision to enter along this journey of bi-vocation ministry. As with most journeys, there is (and will always be) bumps in the road as well as speed limits changing, crazy drivers on the road, signal lights, stop signs, directional signs, freeway traffic, and detours. I will admit that I never thought it would be this difficult juggling work, family, church, and my own personal needs (spiritual/emotional/physical/ministerial/etc).

It is the challenges of bivocational ministry that has burdened my heart to write on the issue and offer what I believe to be helpful advice and suggestions to such a difficult task for many of us. I’ve searched the internet for resources, conventions, or whatever I could find to assist me along my journey. What did I find? Not much and the information I did find was so general that it was not helpful. The only convention I find offering some helpful information is the Southern Baptist Convention on the website http://www.lifeway.com/. I’ve found who has now become a favorite writer of mine, Pastor Dennis Bickers who’s been a bivocational pastor for over 20 years. I’ve found that his blog page http://www.bivocationalministry.blogspot.com/ has been extremely helpful as well as his book entitled: “The Bivocational Pastor – Two Jobs, One Ministry” and “The “Work of a Bivocational Pastor” both provides valuable information. Other than that, there isn’t much information that can and will assist those in dual ministry.

Denominational work, minister’s conferences, preaching seminars, leadership development, etc are held during the day and those of us who are in dual roles cannot attend. So we miss out on valuable information, networking, and fellowship with local pastors in our area that can assist us in building the kingdom of God.

Over these past 8 years, I’ve had questions about bivocational ministry challenges and began doing my own biblical research to help me understand bivocational ministry from a biblical perspective. I am under the belief that when we as Christians approach anything in life we should look to the bible for answers. So, I’ve approached my writing looking to Scripture for understanding, meaning, and purpose.

Not only do I want to write from a biblical perspective but I want to write using real life issues that are challenging to bivocational pastors. These real life issues are not limited to just bivocational pastors but I believe will be helpful to all pastors, ministers, and lay leaders who’s serious about ministry work in both full-time or in dual ministry.

I have a series of questions that I believe I’ve answers for in regards to bivocational ministry. Questions like:

Is Bivocational ministry a biblical practice?
Is Bivocational ministry for everybody?
How does a bivocational pastor manage his time?
Does our secular career supersede our calling?
What is the relationship between bivocational pastors and the church?
How does a bivocational pastor prepare for weekly sermons and lessons without consistently cheating?
Should a bivocational pastor forsake his own spiritual development?
How does a bivocational pastor handle sermon droughts?
Is there a balance for pastoral ministry in the work place?
How should we handle family life?
Should we compromise our biblical convictions to keep a job?
Does a church with a full-time pastor grow faster than bivocational ministries?

Many of these questions will be combined as I write and new ones will no doubt be explored.

Bottom-line: ministry, in general, rather full time or bivocational, is very a fulfilling ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment