Thursday, April 23, 2009

Evangelism Emphasis Service

Evangelism Emphasis Service

We held our first evangelism emphasis service last night in an effort to increase the importance of local and universal missions. My friend, pastor Barry Wilson was our speaker and preached “A Ready Christian” – 1 Peter 3:15: “but in your hearts regard Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.” Good challenging message, thanks Pastor Wilson.

I scheduled a lecturer before the sermon but he didn’t show up so I lectured for about 15 minutes on the question; “Why Evangelism Is Important?” My confident reasons are:

Evangelism is a Command (Matthew 28:19-20; Mark 16:15) – Both of these verses from Christ are not suggestions to evangelize but a command to evangelize. A Christian who’s not evangelizing is a Christian who is disobeying the command of God. I tried to press as best as I could that we do not have an option in this matter. Excuses are unacceptable for not carrying out this command. After a funeral service this past Saturday, I had a conversation with one of our members about the growth of church through conversion growth and not transfer growth. In that conversation, they explained that everyone they knew already attends church and is actively committed to they’re church. My response, “So are you telling me that you don’t meet any new people in a day, week, or month?” They’re response; “Yes!” I then reminded them of their participation with the American Cancer Society and asked “Is everyone in that society saved?” The accurately assumed answer is “NO!” Then you have opportunity there. The point is that evangelism is a command.

Evangelism is about Change (Matthew 9:27-31; John 4) – In both of these recorded miracles (as well as others), after having contact with Jesus, word spread across the country of how Jesus changed their lives. Evangelism is about seeing lives changed for God. What a testimony to the church of Jesus Christ. I read somewhere that the best advertisement for the church is changed lives. I’ve read excerpts of a book (of which I plan to purchase real soon) by William Chadwick entitled “Stealing Sheep”. He deals with our modern day tendency to focus more on transfer growth rather than conversion growth. Transfer growth is easy. Just put together a few good slogans, have good music, tell a lot of jokes from the pulpit, be hip using all the latest slang, whoop for 45 minutes, have a big name, rap in church (gospel/secular it doesn’t matter now days), and your church will grow. It doesn’t take much in this religious grass-hopper day to grow with transfer membership. But what and who does it benefit outside of having unconverted bodies in our buildings as well as the ability to pontificate, embellish, lie, and boast about the number of people who attend our services on Sunday mornings. Conversion growth is a slow process winning one person at a time. My prayer for First Goodwill is that we persevere through the process of winning one person at time. It’s going to take some time but it will be beneficial for the kingdom of God in the end.

Evangelism is celebrative (Luke 15) - I love Luke 15!!!!! At the end of 2008, I preached a series in this chapter and plan on doing it again this year. After the recovery of the lost sheep, coin, and son the response was celebration. They called friends, servants, and neighbors together for celebration. Effective evangelism brings joyous life to a church and members. I get excited just thinking about the lives that will be changed as a result of our commitment to conversion growth. If I can touch somebody then I know my living will not be in vain.

Good service and I’m looking for the fruit from our labor as we commit to sharing our faith with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment