Friday, December 15, 2017

CALM DOWN!!!!!






When I arrived to the church where I serve on staff, a deacon says to me: “Hey, I remember you!” I looked at him with surprise and thought to myself; “Not another one!” He proceeds to say, “You used to play basketball at the YMCA years ago, didn’t you?” In my defense tone, I said; “Yes, I did sir!” He says: “Do you remember me?” My response: “No, should I remember you?”


He goes on to say, “I remember you because you had a temper back then (jokingly).” I said, “I did!” He says, “Man, you didn’t back down for nothing and nobody on the court!’ I said, “Sir, that’s my alter ego, I don’t do that anymore!’ He says, “I see, I couldn’t believe it was you coming in here sitting in the back being quite”.


I said to him: “Man, life has a way of calming you down with a quickness whether WE like it or not!”


One of the hardest things to do is keep your composure when you want to let it all out…literally. I’ve learned over the years how to stay calm under pressure and it’s not easy to do. But trust me, it didn’t happen overnight, in a day, and actually, it took years. I will admit, I have a habit of holding things in until it boils the water in my tea kettle and when the whistle blows you can’t stop it. That has not worked well for me. So, I’ve had to develop some disciplines to assist me in making people, places, and things to make me act I don’t know who Jesus is.
Let me share them as suggestions to help you stay calm in pressurized situations…
  • Don’t take work home leave it where it belongs … at work. This goes for ministry as well.
  • Take a walk to clear your head. I love the beach so I walk on the beach a lot. I’ve worked the Manhattan BCH Christmas firework show on the beach. Although I was working, I was still able to think. Ocean waves calms down. I should add to my tattoo of things that helped me make for 50yrs the beach. It’s been a lifesaver for me too.
  • Cook a good meal. Even if you don’t know how to cook, try something to cook. You will be amazed how much you’re able to relax. This is how I learned to cook.

    Find a relaxing hobby. Besides basketball, I love to BBQ.
  • Stay away from things that are stressful. This may mean not answering the phone, text, emails, etc. TV can be stressful. I’ve seen more and more people lately argue with the TV than they do with human beings. They can’t hear you on the show so hursh…lol
  • Listen to music. My music of choice is Jazz and smooth R&B. I’ve found it extremely relaxing making a play list of songs on google play. Searching music and creating a playlist is pretty cool and relaxing for me.
  • Read a book and it doesn’t have to be the bible. I making the assumption here that you have a daily devotional time to read the bible. Whatever you read, just make sure it’s something uplifting, inspiring, and relaxing.
  • If you’re married, have a fun date night. Don’t talk about the kids, money, bills, work, church, or anything of that nature. Just enjoy each other.

    Stay away from the stores. Too much temptation and stress to see something you “want” and can’t get it. Stressful indeed and depressing sometimes.
  • Use your sick and vacation time wisely. That work will be there when you get back.

    Wash your car. I wash my car at the self-service car wash and drive to the park to dry it off and detail it. I find a nice shaded area, park, turn on my music, and clean. Relaxing!
  • Don't get upset over what you can't control! The only thing you can control is how you respond to those things you can't control! Leave it be and move on!
  • Listen carefully and attentively when in dialogue with others. We have a habit, especially on the phone, to jump in the middle of the other person's sentence before waiting for them to finish. I've found myself doing that and I have to apologize and let them finish. Sometimes, I wait 2-3 seconds to make sure they're done before I respond. Most stressful situations come from us not hearing the other person out.
  • Think before you speak. Everything doesn't deserve your response.
  • Stay away from drugs, sex (unless you're married it may help...lol), and alcohol. These are nothing more than a temporary fix and when you come down the problem will still be there that made you upset in the first place.


Now, mind you when you set out to intentionally calm down, you will be looked upon as a person who doesn't care, checked out, nonchalant, unconcerned, and a down right jerk.
Ok!
You're objective is to stay calm at all cost. 
The point of this blog is simple, life is to short to be upset all the time!

158 comments:

  1. Гадание на личное будущее дает увидеть, что человека ждет в ближайшее время. Попытка просмотреть грядущие действия постоянно привлекал род человеческий. Всякий хочет узнать собственное грядущее и видит конкретные способы гадания более эффективными.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Выбрать желаемый товар в значительной степени несложно – доступно сравнить цену, или открыть оценку продавцов. На площадке ссылка на hydra2web пользователи имеют возможность покупать продукцию отдельной единицей, а также большими партиями. Умелые продавцы маркетплейса ЮнионHYDRA имеют соответствующий ранг, который доступен всем пользователям маркета. Тут можно приобрести любые субстанции, бытовую технику и конфиденциальную информацию.

    ReplyDelete