Tuesday, October 3, 2017

The Gospel According to They


Well, the questions have poured in as to what my tattoo means “They tried it but I made it with my Bible, Basketball, and BBQ Grill. The biggest question I’ve received is “Who is they?”


Well here’s my answer…


“They said…”


“They saw…”


“They heard…”


“They would appreciate it if you….”


“They need to see…”


Here’s my problem with them “They”, who in the heck is “They?” I can never get a straight answer. Big, no huge PROBLEM for me!


For 50 years, I’ve dealt with “They” in corporate, church, our culture, and community. Much of what “They” say comes from a dark place. Right, wrong, or indifferent so here’s what I’ve learned from the Gospel according to they.


First, it’s a dark place of insecurity. “They” is a vehicle used to hide a person’s insecurities. Rather than admitting to weaknesses that may be another person’s strength. “They” is used to tear down the strengths of others to make them feel better about themselves. Insecurity is dark place because it says that a person is not satisfied with how God created them to be. Do not chase a person’s insecurity. In addition, don’t hold people hostage because of your insecurities. I thank God that over the years, God has placed people in my life to carry out the biblical instruction in Proverbs 27:17: “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another”. There is mutual benefit in the rubbing of two iron blades together; the edges become sharper, making the knives more efficient in their task to cut and slice. Likewise, the Word of God is a “double-edged sword” (Hebrews 4:12), and it is with this that we are to sharpen one another—in times of meeting, fellowship, or any other interaction. Insecurity is a dull blade in a person’s life. However, we can dispel the dark place of insecurity of using “THEY” to hook up with “THEM” (brothers and sisters) to assist us in areas where we are dull. “THEY” is too general but “THEM” is very genuine.


Second, it’s a dark place of inferiority. When people feel inadequate in themselves “THEY” is used to make them feel important, strong, and stable. Why? Because “THEY” (either invisible or visible) can make them feel better about themselves while belittling others in the process. However, this is not a Christ-like attribute. God never created us to be inferior individuals. I will admit that there are some experiences in our lives that will make us feel little about ourselves but that feeling should be as a sinner. Once, we are saved, we move past feeling inferior to living victoriously. The Word shows us victorious living with verses like: “We are more than conquerors”, “I can do all things through Christ…”, “All things work together for the good of them that love God…”, and so many others. Let me say this as well, be careful surrounding yourself with people who can only speak well of you but never speak the truth in love (accountability). Likewise, be careful of those who only want to speak truth in love but never want to hear truth spoken in love. We’re all growing together so we must take the good with the bad in each other in love.  


Third, it is a dark place of manipulation. People use “THEY” to manipulate you into doing what they want you to do or want from you. Don’t become a puppet that dances to the beat of someone else’s drum. Any and/or all manipulation tactics are selfish and doesn’t have your best interest at heart.


Fourth, it is a dark place of spiritual warfare. Ephesians 6 is very clear that we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against powers that we cannot see. “THEY” is a crafty attack to create division in the church and with the people of God. To shadow box with “THEY” leads to an automatic defeat in the ring of life, so, don’t swing at what you can’t see. Stand your ground. Be yourself. Be comfortable with who you are and how God made you. Pray constantly. Detach yourself from foolishness. Don’t take it personal. Move on if need be. Bottom-line: Don’t allow “THEY” to make you act like you don’t know who Jesus is!


Fifth, it is a dark place that can be enlightened. How you handle “THEY” can draw “You” and “THEM” to God. My enlightenment has come from three (3) areas that work best for me: my Bible, my Basketball, and my BBQ Grill.


My Bible: It has been the Word of God that has kept me for 44yrs. I was saved at 6yrs old at Victory Baptist church on McKinley Ave in Los Angeles, Ca. While I couldn’t explain it biblically then I knew what I was doing spiritually. When I became of an understanding age it has been my bible that has kept me. Not just me reading it but me knowing it for myself through personal study, bible study, seminars, Sunday Morning worship, Sunday School, personal conversations about scripture, etc. I’m a firm believer the Word works if you work it. The times I failed were the times I didn’t work the Word.


My Basketball. I love the game of Basketball and much of what I’ve learned about life and ministry has come from me playing basketball. I don’t know what it is to have lived in a house with a pastor/preacher so I can’t relate to those conversations with others. The closest person in that area of life was my grandfather who was a deacon who loved the Word. Out of all the lessons learned on the court there is one that sticks with me to this day and has not failed me yet. My coach told me once after a hard fought game, “Clint, never allow the intensity of the game to get you out of your game. Play how you know to win!” So, I play the game of life and ministry the same way. The basketball court is my second sanctuary. I can play and think at the same time. By the time I’m done, I have a new look at the situation. I am concerned now because my legs can’t take the beating much longer so I will need something else related to the game to do. But for now, I will continue to play.


My BBQ Pit. Cooking is definitely a relaxer for me. I can escape life’s worries being caught up in the smoke of my QUE. Preparing the meat, lighting the coals, cooking the meat, making my own sauce, is heaven to me. I can think, process, write, read, pray, and meditate all while cooking. Yes, it takes me all day because I finish my meat on the grill with no oven tenderizing. During some of the most frustrating times in my life, it was my BBQ pit that calmed me down and brought things back into proper perspective.


Peace and Blessings….

No comments:

Post a Comment